A new information booklet to help parents prepare their children for the return to school has been produced.
Wiltshire Council has created a short guide with some tips to help families prepare as early years settings and schools plan to welcome more children from certain year groups from 1 June.
Schools have been open for children of key workers and the most vulnerable children throughout the lockdown however the government has said early years settings, primary school reception, Year 1, 2 and 6 can return from 1 June. Secondary school years 10 and 12 will have some face to face contact from 15 June.
The booklet has some helpful tips for families including:
- Talk about the positives of going back to school
- Talk about all the things you have done during the lockdown period
- Think about ways for them to connect with their friends before going back
- For younger children explain when this is going to happen i.e. there are so many sleeps before going back
- Encourage open discussion
- Start to encourage the number of times your children wash their hands and practise maintaining social distancing
- Share school information with them to help them prepare for the changes
- Put a routine in place in the run up to going back – get your child to talk to you about what the routine will look like
You can access the booklet online – www.wiltshire.gov.uk/downloads/22821